Dallas Criminal Defense Attorneys Explain How to Handle Text Message Harassment
fesw32qDallas criminal defense attorneys Broden and Mickelsen explain your legal options if you are the victim of such harassment.
Dallas, TX -- story.Kisspr.com -- According to one survey, 50 percent of people between the ages of 14 and 24 have been harassed or subjected to abusive behavior via text. Under Texas law, a text may be considered harassment if the content is repetitive and unwanted. If you're the victim of texts that include such behaviour, it's important to take measures to protect yourself.
Criminal defense attorneys Broden and Mickelsen recommend the following six steps:
- Save the texts — you can simply take screenshots of the messages you’ve been sent, or contact your mobile provider for a complete transcript.
- Gather as much evidence as you can —it’s important to document each incident as much as possible,to aid any investigation that may need to be conducted further down the road.
- Do not reply — avoid making the situation anymore volatile; leave it to law enforcement to handle the situation.
- Contact police — take the evidence that you have gathered to the police so that the situation can be handled effectively.
- Talk to a lawyer who specializes in criminal law — an experienced lawyer can help explain your rights and answer any questions you may have.
- Protect your mobile phone number — treat your mobile phone number like any other sensitive part of your identity and avoid sharing it publicly.
Remember, under Texas law, it is a crime to bully someone using a computer, social media, the internet, or text messaging, and the penalties for such activities can be very serious. If you’ve been charged with cyber harassment or stalking, talk to a Texas criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible.
About Dallas based criminal law firm of Broden & Mickelsen
In 1998, Mickelsen formed the law firm of Broden & Mickelsen with Clint Broden. Although much of their practice continued to be focused in Federal court, the two partners began to represent defendants in Texas courts around the state. These cases involved charges ranging from DWI’s to murder.
Phone: (214) 720-9552
Website Address: https://www.brodenmickelsen.com/
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/t7aPzwzVWPL8ARHTA